CESO has been providing capacity building support to micro, small and medium sized enterprises (MSMEs) and government institutions in Asia for more than 35 years throughout approximately 12 countries. Please click on Where we work
for a complete list of countries in all regions where CESO has been assisting organizations, businesses and communities over the course of our more than 45 year history.
We are currently working in the Philippines and China.
Since 1968, CESO has been developing successful relationships with partners in the Philippines, delivering more than 2,600 assignments. Our current five-year partnership agreement (2009-2014) focuses on improving manufacturing, agricultural business, tourism and municipal governance. CESO’s continued work in this country contributes to job creation, sustainable income generation through MSMEs and local economic development. Over the course of our work in the Philippines, we have achieved many positive results, including the following:
- 96 municipalities have increased business tax revenues by 5% to 150% (largely by reducing “discounting” practices) and improved efficiencies and customer service levels through “electronic governance” (eGovernance).
- Beekeepers associations and the national apiculture institute successfully lobbied the government to include beekeeping in the Department of Agriculture’s priorities, and through partnership with CESO have improved income generation and increased crop yields.
- Sustainable tourism destinations have seen an increase in their sales, particularly as a result of improved customer services; improved management and operations as well as better restaurant opportunities.
CESO’s work in the Philippines is implemented through long term collaboration with local program partners.
Project undertaken with the financial support of the Government of Canada provided through Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
Since 1980, CESO has enjoyed over 30 years’ fruitful relationship with China. In collaboration with the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA) and local foreign expert offices, CESO has conducted more than 820 assignments in 26 provinces and regions in China. These assignments assisted Chinese government agencies and companies, providing valuable training and technical advice in more than 100 cities and towns across China. The experts were highly respected for their professionalism and expertise, and for their meaningful contribution to economic and technological developments in China. CESO and several experts were honoured with special awards including the Friendship Award from China’s central government, and awards from provincial governments.
Over the past few years, CESO experts completed around 100 assignments in fifteen provinces and regions, in agriculture and livestock, forestry/pulp and paper industry, tourism planning/management, fisheries, accounting and taxation, environmental protection/waste management/disposal, international marketing and foreign investment promotion. One example is a training project in 2011 at the Yangzhou Tax Academy of the State Administration of Taxation. The project included 4 weeks of seminars and workshops on Canadian tax systems including tax risk assessment, taxpayer services, tax avoidance and tax evasion. The Canadian expert has over 30 years’ experience. The project trained over 1000 participants - government officials from many provinces.
CESO assists clients in China in the areas of:
- Agriculture & Agro-Industry Development, Livestock development and Food Crop Production
- Natural Resources Management including forestry and fisheries
- Financial Management and Taxation, Banking, Financial sector
- Urban and Rural Planning, Land use Planning
- Water and Waste Management, Environmental Protection and Planning
- Ecotourism Development, Hospitality and Tourism
- Public Sector Reform and Leadership Training, Municipal development, Electronic Governance
- Manufacturing sector
- Human Resources (HR) Management
- International trade and marketing, investment promotion
- Health care and hospital management
Interested in becoming a program partner or client? Contact our Country Representative:
37-A Scout Delgado,
Barangay Laging Handa
Quezon City, Philippines
Cell (63-1) 920-932-8846
Vice-President, International Services
1-800-268-9052, Ext. 4076
In Canada, for more information about the program, contact our Program Manager:
Program Manager, Asia and Americas
1-800-268-9052, Ext. 4106